Dr. Frances L. Horler

SHE GETS THE WHOLE WING

By Mike Helenthal

Kewanee Star Courier USA TODAY NETWORK

 

Kewanee High Schools has officially named its academic wing after benefactor and former teacher Dr. Frances L. Horler.

But it’s been called that unofficially for some time.

Horler graduated from KHS in 1927 and returned to teach English, Latin and Biology in 1935. In 1945, she left to earn her doctorate’s degree before becoming a university professor.

Her foundation gift of about $2.3 million nearly a decade ago has been used for countless upgrades that help students, including supplies, laptops and the recent purchase of a hightech anatomy table.

About $1.8 of that money is in restricted funding and earmarked for KHS math, history, science, foreign language and social studies programs. As of last year, the Kewanee Schools Foundation held about $4 million in assets.

And that’s why, according to Dist. 229 Supt. Chris Sullens, “She gets the whole wing.”

The high school also recently added the Great Dane name to its welding lab for the company’s ongoing donations of equipment, most recently grinders that are being used by students.

                                                   

                                                                          Science teacher Kelly Ellerbrock shows the new 3D anatomy

                                                                           table at February's school board meeting.